Ninjas and Dragons

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
TheDenizen
Your TCI: na

Ninjas and Dragons

Post by TheDenizen »

Well I knew this would happen eventually. The longer I plumbed the depths of world cinema it became inevitable that I would want to rate a movie that didn't have an imdb entry. Since Ninjas and Dragons doesn't seem to exist on imdb, I can't add it to the Criticker database. But here's my review anyways.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zQysUEgm-To

An evil warlord sends a large caravan of food and weapons to resupply his army, and a family of righteous rebels try to stop it from reaching them. Low budget chop socky action with a Hiroyuki Sanada lookalike doing ninja tricks amongst all the kung fu. The story is nothing special, and there's whole lot of setup, but most of the fights are of a high quality with several featuring one lady who is pretty incredible with the folding fan. The climactic battle takes up more than a third of the run time. There's tons of cool ninja shenanigans and a brawling midget, but some pretty terrible music.

6.5/10

ShogunRua

Re: Ninjas and Dragons

Post by ShogunRua »

TheDenizen wrote:Well I knew this would happen eventually. The longer I plumbed the depths of world cinema it became inevitable that I would want to rate a movie that didn't have an imdb entry. Since Ninjas and Dragons doesn't seem to exist on imdb, I can't add it to the Criticker database.

Yeah, I"m aware of a number of kung fu films like this. Incidentally, is it on the HK film database? They're far more thorough than IMDB in this regard.

TheDenizen wrote: The climactic battle takes up more than a third of the run time.

In my experience, this either turns out incredible or awful, with little middle ground. Which one was it here?

TheDenizen

Re: Ninjas and Dragons

Post by TheDenizen »

never thought to look on HKmdb. I can't even find the stars of this movie on imdb. :)

The final battle was mostly pretty good, there was a lot of variety and several people on both sides mixing it up, and moving from location to location, so it kept kinda fresh as the battle wore on. Still, nothing really spectacular choreography wise...just solid execution.